Now that summer is in full motion, there are even more invites to outdoor patio get togethers. Could this mean trouble for your new eating habits? Not if you are prepared. Here are some useful strategies for coping with large portions, rich menu items, and dessert trays wafting their rich aromas right in front of you:
1. Ask the waiter to split your order, and box-up the other half before bringing it out to you. Eat half, and take the other half home for another meal.
2. Order the soup and salad option with the dressing on the side.
3. Split something with a friend.
4. Ask how the food is prepared. Don’t be afraid to ask the waiter if you could have your food prepared without butter. Healthier options can be prepared with Extra Virgin Olive Oil. Also ask for baked, broiled, grilled, or steamed. Avoid fried!
5. If a meal is offered with fries, ask if you could get a vegetable or salad instead.
6. If a sandwich is listed as being prepared on white bread or roll, ask for wheat or whole grain. Most restaurants can and will accommodate.
7. Ask for what you want (something simple), even if it is not on the menu. Most restaurants are used to this. A good thing to ask for is a grilled chicken breast or grilled fish with a vegetable and rice.
8. Don’t be afraid to discard uneaten food if you don’t have the option of boxing the left-overs.